2013 Photography Contest
Winners announced in Burchfield Photography Contest
The Burchfield Nature and Art Center announced the winners of the 2013 Photography Contest on Friday, Nov. 15 during a reception with more than 120 people in attendance. Judges Jerome Greenburg, Kenn Morgan and Cliff Borchert selected winners in six categories. Borchert gave a brief presentation explaining factors that go in to a winning photograph, including subject, lighting, point of view, execution and cropping.
There were 76 entries in the contest. Awards were presented to winners in the following categories:
Black & White
1) Flora – Alana M. Kelley
2) Not Me – Tom Sweetland
3) Lady in the Water Part II – Olivia Zydel
Honorable Mention: Man’s Best Friend – Bill Wach
1) Me – A Self-Portrait – Madison Berger
2) Sky View – John England
3) Fallen Tree at Eternal Flame – Austen Woods
Honorable Mention: Night Ferris Wheel – Benjamin Betrus
1) Checkmate – Valerie Yost
2) Beauty – Lisa Yvette Willis
3) Bath Time – Nicole Smith
Honorable Mention: Satan’s Realm – Carl Borowicz
Nature – Flora
1) After the Raindrops – Jennifer Domzalski
2) A Flora Dream – Tom Sweetland
3) Serene Image – Gerald Zielinski
Honorable Mention: Francisco – Bailey Lynn George
Nature – Fauna
1) A Spider’s First Day – Denise G. Pisanczyn
2) Lone Goose – Joseph Podsiadlo
3) Open Up & Say Ahh! – Thomas Wilczak, Jr.
Honorable Mention Mention: Yum- Robin Heeb
People, Places & Things
1) Beautiful Fictions – Shirley Wagner
2) Thanks – Brady Zimbardi
3) Making A Shoe Fit – Shirley Wagner
Honorable Mention: Peaceful Flowergirl – Shannon Berger
Visitors to the gallery are invited to vote for the “People’s Choice” award, which will be presented at 2 p.m. on Dec. 29, the closing date for the exhibit.
2013 Pie Contest winners
The second annual pie contest was held Saturday, October 5. Judges State Assemblyman Michael Kearns and West Seneca Historical Society members Dolores Mendolia and Fran Deppeler tasted and rated each of the 15 pies entered in the competition.
The blue ribbon went to Renee Harkins for her pecan praline caramel apple pie. Second place was claimed by Larry Fudala who submitted an apple cranberry pie with a pecan crumb topping. After the contest, visitors enjoyed slices of pie, making for a sweet afternoon.